SHERLOCKOLOGY AND MX PUBLISHING HAVE TEAMED UP IN SUPPORT OF THE UNDERSHAW PRESERVATION TRUST, TO OFFER FANS AN OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE THEIR VERY OWN SHERLOCK HOLMES SHORT STORY PUBLISHED IN A BOOK!
WHAT IS THE BOOK?
The upcoming book, ‘Sherlock’s Home: The Empty House’ is to be a collection of short stories and poems centered around the Sherlock Holmes canon characters and for the benefit of the Undershaw Preservation Trust.
The aim is to give aspiring writers with an interest in Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan Doyle, the opportunity to see their writing in print, while primarily raising awareness for Undershaw.
WHAT IS IT FOR?
Undershaw is the former home of Sir Arthur Conan Dolye, creator of Sherlock Holmes, located in Hindhead, Surrey, UK.
‘The Undershaw Preservation Trust’ is an organization that is working toward saving Undershaw from development and conversion into three separate properties. Instead they are fighting to preserve this historic house as a whole, as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle originally intended, for the benefit of future generations.
HOW DO I SUBMIT AN ENTRY?
If you would like to contribute to the book, all you need to do is write a short story or poem based on Sherlock Holmes and/or Undershaw - whether it be in the Victorian era, a decade in the 20th century, modern day or even in the future?
You can change the characters genders, ages or nationality. You are limited only by your imaginations; tell a story of them as children, or maybe solving crimes in the swinging sixties, what if the premise was set in space? Would a futuristic Sherlock Holmes and John Watson battle criminal aliens, maybe outlawed cowboys in the Wild West from the late 19th century, or even pirates? As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said, “You may marry him or murder him or do what you like with him”, so the choice really is yours!
Be creative, be original, but most of all have fun and help support the preservation of this historical building.
The final selection will be made up of up to 20 stories and poems with the authors credited in print. [Please note: All royalties from the sale of this book will be donated to the Undershaw Preservation Trust and so unfortunately contributors will not be paid a royalty fee.]
Please email your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Sherlock’s Home. Other information to include: your name as you would wish it to appear in print, location (city and country i.e. London, UK) and your contact details.
Word Count: The story or poem must be no more than 3,000 words.
Entries: Anyone can apply, but entries must be submitted by 12:00BST Tuesday 1st May, 2012. Unfortunately submissions after this date won’t be eligible for inclusion due to the publication date. The final collection of stories and poems will be chosen by a representative of Sherlockology, MX Publishing and The Undershaw Preservation Trust.
Stories which are submitted that do not make it in to the final published book will be compiled into a PDF which will be made available as a FREE download from the Sherlockology website.
Content: We do ask that you keep in mind we would like this book to have the largest possible readership in support of Save Undershaw, therefore stories can not be consider that contain material inappropriate for minors.
Important Legal Bit: There is only one Undershaw, so we ask you to create a piece of writing that is just as unique!
While the Sherlock Holmes canon characters are out of copyright, which means they no longer legally belong to anyone, characters not found in the canon but in recent adaptations such as Molly Hooper from BBC ‘Sherlock’ television series or Lord Blackwood from Guy Richie’s ‘Sherlock Holmes’ movie for example, do belong to the creators of the productions. Unfortunately therefore we can only include original canon characters i.e. Sherlock Holmes, Dr. John Watson, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, James Moriarty, Mycroft Holmes, Irene Adler, etc., although they are not bound by their original premise, gender or era.
All material supplied will be subject to editing to ensure no copyright infringement occurs, but please also keep in mind that all content must be your own, therefore direct quotation may not be made to the script of any television or film adaptations.
WHEN WILL THE BOOK BE PUBLISHED?
The book will be published on the day of the High Court Judicial Review for Undershaw when it’s fate will be decided on Tuesday 23rd May, 2012
CAN I PRE-ORDER THIS BOOK YET?
If you are unable to contribute creatively, you can still support the Undershaw Preservation Trust* by pre-ordering the book on Amazon.
*If the Review outcome is in the Trust’s favour, royalties from the sale of this book will go directly towards the renovation costs of the building. Should the unthinkable happen and it does not, the money will contribute to preserving the memory of Undershaw by documenting the building.
So there’s only one thing left to say now, and that is;
What are you waiting for? Go get writing!
- worldlady likes this
- sherlylikeswaffles likes this
- wintarmanoth likes this
- lapuslazulli reblogged this from sherlockology
- lapuslazulli likes this
- kobit likes this
- brilliantskip likes this
- a-clockwork-cas reblogged this from aloneblackrose
- aw8tingannabell reblogged this from aloneblackrose
- aloneblackrose reblogged this from thebritishteapot
- tookmyskull reblogged this from pirjoz
- im-sherlywho likes this
- bellatrixisastar likes this
- ineptshieldmaid reblogged this from lemonsharks and added:
- welcometothepettingzoomuthafucka reblogged this from sherlockology
- crism79 reblogged this from sherlockology
- crism79 likes this
- sherlock-its-a-passion reblogged this from tumbler-the-trueth
- talesofcowardlyulysses reblogged this from sherlockology and added:
- geniusbillionairesassmaster reblogged this from bandersnatchcuddlebuns
- geniusbillionairesassmaster likes this
- kavinskysdick likes this
- unisispegacornhugo reblogged this from areyoutryingtodeduceme
- ramen-hime reblogged this from areyoutryingtodeduceme
- ramen-hime likes this
- lemonsharks reblogged this from sherlockology and added:
- raggedy-spaceman likes this
- stravaganza reblogged this from sherlockology and added:
- what-a-wonderful-word reblogged this from sherlockology and added:
- belislythindor reblogged this from sherlockology
- sonofjotunheim reblogged this from sherlockology
- the-french-consulting-blogger reblogged this from sherlockology
- thenerdwithatardis likes this
- rogueholmes reblogged this from sherlockology
- ashtonstormborn reblogged this from wassup-holmes
- wassup-holmes reblogged this from afrogeekgoddess
- mydarlingbenedict reblogged this from cumberqueen
- hijiki9696 reblogged this from sherlockology
- finnemoresome reblogged this from sherlockology
- randomisthenewsexy reblogged this from thebritishteapot
- aznschoolgirlcorner likes this
- aerynlallaboso reblogged this from allthatisbizarre
- allthatisbizarre reblogged this from hellyes-all-holmes and added:
- allthatisbizarre likes this
- davids-high-kick likes this
- littlehalo likes this
- bendy-dick reblogged this from sherlockology
- maccasmiz reblogged this from bastianmoran
- kitthegirl reblogged this from thebritishteapot